In Sunday school today we discovered that we belong to a church family who learns together about God’s love.
Our scripture reading for the day was Philemon 1-21
Today, we began the second season of Pentecost. This season we are focusing on a church family. Priscilla came to visit with us today and talked about trying new things. She was very nervous about trying a new food. But after trying just one bite, she realized she liked it. We then shared stories about times we tried new things and what changed our minds about them.
During our story time, we heard a story about Phillip’s first day at a new church. He was worried about meeting new people. However, the children were very welcoming and included Phillip in the class. Philip learned about God’s love and that they are the church. We then talked about a church family. We all care about one another and we are all learning about God.
During our response time, we created a community snack. There were two rules: 1) You can not serve yourself 2) You can not use your hands. The children learned by watching one another some of the best strategies for distributing food and worked to serve each other.
Extension Ideas for Home
· Read the Bible passage together
· What are some ways your family makes guests feel welcome in your home? What are some things you can do at church to make people feel welcome?
· We will be preparing a Thank You breakfast for the staff at Douglas Elementary on Monday September 13th. We are in need of breakfast items (fruit, juice, breakfast rolls etc). Please drop off at church by Sunday September 12th.
· Join us Monday September 13th at 7:15 am at Douglas Elementary School to set up breakfast for the teachers.
· Monday September 20th @ 4pm at Grace of Douglas to read to residents.